Monday 25 June 2012

Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes

Oh yes, I’ve finally got my hands on Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes. Unlike Crafting by Concepts and  Making Mathematics with Needlework this does book doesn’t include lesson ideas. However, it is an award winner…

image

Again, it is a book that thrills me for it’s combination of two of my favourite things in life – crafting and Mathematics. What’s even better, these projects seem achievable even for a beginner like me. There are also interesting sections considering the use of hyperbolic planes in Science, Medicine, Computer Science, Music and Art.

I’m not going to go into too much detail but let’s see how many of these index items you recognise…

absolute geometry annuli asymptotic catenary
catenoid crochet curvature Erlangen program
exponential growth geodesics helicoid hyperbolic geometry
hyperbolic plane ideal triangle Klein bottle knitting
local intrinsic geometry manifold minimal surface Mobius strip
mosaics naalebinding non-Euclidean geometry orbifold
Parallel Postulate patters Poincare model pseudosphere
radius Riemann surface simply connected spherical geometry
Strands sum of interior angles torus tractrix
 
That gives you a good idea of what’s involved and it really is sad how excited that list makes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...